Pressrelease 28-01-2014 Australia’s leading pest control company Flick Anticimex has warned Australians of the health risks associated with pest infestations, after a 2cm cockroach was removed from the ear of a Darwin man.
The cockroach entered the man’s ear while he was asleep and caused severe pain until it was removed by forceps at the Royal Darwin Hospital. It is purportedly the largest insect removed from someone’s ear.
Flick Anticimex has provided the following tips for preventing a cockroach infestation:
- Do not leave dirty dishes in your sink overnight.
- Keep all food in the refrigerator or in containers.
- Regularly remove garbage from your home, especially your kitchen.
- Inspect deliveries of food and other consumables (boxes, hampers etc.) before taking inside.
- Install tight-fitting fly screens and draft excluders on door bottoms to seal up gaps.
- Keep pet food stored in air-tight containers where possible.
- Regularly clean and maintain bird aviaries and other animal cages.
- Clean out gutters regularly and repair leaking taps.
- Don’t let water pool in areas close to the home.
- Keep lawns cut short and gardens maintained (sweep up leaf litter and keep weeds down).
- Book a yearly pest inspection with a reputable pest controller.