Ant control made simple
Ant invasions are solvable as long as there is an integrated pest management (IPM) system and compliance from the home resident/s. Ant infestations can range from mild to severe. For any degree of ant infestations, professional pest control is the best option. Wiping down counter tops and meticulous cleaning may aid controlling the ant population around your home, however, it is not a full proof plan.Book An Ant Treatment
From Preparation to Treatment
How do I need to prepare my home for an ant control treatment?
For our ant control treatments, there’s not much to prepare. We do not require any moving of furniture for standard treatments, and residents may stay home during treatment (unless otherwise advised by the technician).
For families with unborn or newborn babies, we recommend minimising exposure to any pesticide that you may come into contact with. So, if there are any sprays applied inside the home, we recommend you vacate the home during the treatment.
For pet owners, we recommend removing the animal/s from the area being treated. Dogs and cats we recommend removing any food or water bowls before the service and then replacing the bowls after the service is completed and any products used have dried. If there is a treatment to be carried out to the exterior of the home, the ideal would be if the animal can be moved to a neighbour or friends property whilst the treatment is being carried out, if that is not possible then place the animal in the garage or laundry whilst the exterior is being treated. The animal can be returned outside once the products used have dried (3-4 hours dependent upon weather conditions).
For more information in regards to other pets (reptiles, fish, rodents etc.), please visit our FAQ page.
How do ant control inspections work?
Breaking the annoying ant cycle is a three-step process. Employing an IPM system for ants begins with booking an inspection with one of our qualified technicians. During the inspection, the technician will check for the following things:
- Species – Identifying the species or genus of ant is extremely important to tailoring your IPM system. In Australia, there are 1,275 described species of ants. These are the broken into genera and subfamilies, all of which may vary in the problems caused to your home. Identifying the correct ant species is vital since they all have different food and nesting preferences.
- Ant Nests – The best way to tackle the problem is at its root. The same concept can be applied when dealing with ants. Locating the nest and thus eradicating their home is the most effective ant treatment method. However, finding the nest can be a complex process. The best way to locate an ant nest is by employing a pest control technician, who is trained in understanding the behavioural patterns and habitats of different ant species.
What methods are used to control ants?
Flick Anticimex provides two different control methods, which can be used interchangeably or complementarily:
- Chemical Treatments – This treatment comes in two forms: liquid and dry powder formulation to granules. Most active ingredients in these products are based on synthetic pyrethroids, which are much safer for your family and pets. Chemical treatments can sometimes provide ongoing protection (like a barrier) against future ant infestation. However, this depends on the species of ant, the type of control product, and its placement.
- Ant Baiting – A highly effective ant control tool, the correct bait is selected (depending on species) and placed strategically to encourage feeding. When ants come in contact with the bait, they will bring some back to the colony. This way, if the baiting job is done well, the entire colony can be eradicated with a single visit. The disadvantage of baits is that it is a timely process. The baits need to be replenished over time and the process of moving the bait into the colony will take time.
Professional versus DIY pest control
When it comes to ant control, you can trust us to effectively keep ants away from your home. Our technicians are professionals in pest control and regularly undergo training sessions to keep their knowledge up to date. At Flick Anticimex, we highly recommend against using DIY pest control treatments for a number of reasons.
- We know the type of environments around your home that ants love; the types of ants invading your home; and have learnt quite a few secrets about their habits.
- Our professional pest controllers have specialised equipment and a wide variety of ant control products that are only accessible to registered pest controllers.
- We provide warranty for ant treatments performed by our technicians (conditions apply and subject to change).
Clean up food spills immediately
Remove unconsumed pet foods
Change pet feeding stations regularly
Seal all cracks and crevices
Trim plants and trees that touch exterior of home